Windwhistle can only continue it's work due to the extraordinary amount of help given by it's loyal supporters. They regularly give
hours of their free time to help clean and look after our animals, especially on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
"I was introduced to Windwhistle by Sally when she came to do a home check at my house. I decided to come along to see what it was all
about and was hooked. Although I work full-time during the week, I have been coming almost every weekend ever since. I really enjoy
spending time with the animals at the rescue, giving them care and affection that they would not otherwise get. I've even rescued another
rabbit from Windwhistle since and would take more if we had the space at home. When several people each give a few hours, it really makes a
difference to the rabbits and guinea pigs. Please consider helping!" - Tanya - Windwhistle Helper
If you think you may be able to give some of your spare time, please contact
us to find out more about it and to see what you could do to help.
You can now donate to Windwhistle Warren via paypal using firstname.lastname@example.org
Donate as a personal gift then no money is taken off by paypal.
Windwhistle Warren is a totally independent organisation and does not receive any monies from any other sources. All of the helpers are
unpaid for the hard work carried out here. When some people visit they truly believe that there is a Government department that supports
rescues. If anyone knows of it, we would love their telephone number! Scratch that, we want their address, we want their names, do they have
a website, are they on Facebook, do they use Twitter!?!
The following information is here because unless it is down in black and white, you will not know how much it actually costs to run a
rescue. The donations we ask for during the adoption process are very small compared to our expenditure and provide great value to prospective
- Single rabbits are a minimum of £60 each. This will include bonding by the rescue if you wish.
- A pairs of rabbits are always difficult to find loving homes for so we are keep our request down to a minimum of £100 per pair.
- Neutered boar guinea pigs are a minimum of £35.
- Sows are a minimum of £15 each.
Now compare these to actual costs we incur per animal...
- All of our rabbits are neutered, which costs us in the region of £50 - £80 per operation.
- All of our rabbits are fully vaccinated. This means we vaccinate them against myxomatosis (at £13 every 6 months) and VHD - viral
haemorrhagic disease - (at £9 per annum).
- We neuter boar guinea pigs if they are not bondable and they are young enough to do so. This will cost us at least £40.
So, if you are lucky (and we are lucky) enough to rehome one of our orphans, you will be getting an absolute bargain. And, if you do not
believe me, just ask your vet for their costs.
Here are some examples of more general figures...
- Our vet bills are over £1,000 per month.
- Dried food bills over £2,000 per year
- We use 100’s of bales of hay each year, at £5 per bale. If we are lucky these are sometimes delivered.
- We use an excellent vet who may not be the cheapest in the area, but I prefer to give our money to someone who tells me the truth and
cares. So, any animal who we can save by additional treatment/hospitalisation will receive it.
- We also have a rabbit specialist vet who understands the complexities of these vulnerable animals.
- ‘Hidden’ costs are taken from our own (er, whoops, Alice's husband's) bank account to cover electric, oil, fuel, fresh food. He does
a lot of maintenance work etc, an absolute little treasure! He has no financial gain from this and buys all of the materials himself.
- As much as possible, we do not want to save an animal just to put it to sleep without a chance. There are occasions when we have to let
them go, this is a very sad part of rescue life, but I see it as the last gift of kindness (and sometimes the only one they have known)
that we can give. Obviously, we pay for this too! (Nothing for free, even to put a poor animal out of its miserable existence of a life).
Basically, nothing is cheap, but the rescue runs on the principal that if something is done, it is done as well as it possibly can be!
We truly believe that rescues have a responsibility to rehome these poor animals to the best of their abilities or their lives may continue
to be cheapened. We can only continue to do this if we have money to do so. Please help us!
By using Easy Fundraising to do your shopping online, you can earn money for Windwhistle at no extra cost!
Jewellery by Teresa
Are you looking for that extra special piece of jewellery? Then take a look here. When you place an order 10% will be donated to
Windwhistle Warren Rescue, (please state RESCUE when ordering).
Through our Sponsorship Scheme, you can help us to raise the funds needed to continue helping our 'little orphans'.
We have a number of rabbits and guinea pigs here at the Warren that we feel cannot be rehomed, either because of their nature,
ongoing medical conditions or both. While animals have a good quality of life we will support them, even with on going medical
conditions. Medication and regular trips to the vet can cost a lot of money.
You can help support their care by sponsoring them.
Initially you will receive a photo of your chosen rabbit or guinea pig and then every 3 months you will get a newsletter which will
keep you up to date with how they are getting on. You will also receive a birthday card from your sponsor rabbit or guinea pig so don't
forget to let us know when your birthday is.
As an alternative to sponsoring a particular animal you can sponsor a hutch. You will receive a newsletter every 3 months which will
tell you all about the animals who have found their way into the rescue and been lodging in your chosen hutch.
You are always welcome to pay your rabbit, guinea pig or chosen hutch a visit. Please
us to arrange a time. (Some of our sponsor
rabbits are in foster care for that extra special attention so you may be put in touch with their foster carer).
Download your Sponsorship Form.
You can help us with funds by becoming a Friend of Windwhistle Warren.
For a minimum donation of £5 per month, you will receive a newsletter every three months keeping you up to date with what is going on at
the Warren and a card on your birthday from all the rabbits and guinea pigs.
If you would like to set up a standing order to the Warren then please contact
us for details.